RISKS OF FLOODING AND THE WAYS OF THEIR REDUCTION IN THE IRRIGATION ZONE OF THE NORTH-CRIMEAN CANAL
The relevance of the research. In the southern region of Ukraine, the long-term irrigation in poorly drained territories results in an intensive uplift of ground water levels, the development of flood processes, salinization of soils and groundwater in irrigated and adjacent areas, which in turn led to the need of constructing engineering drainage systems and monitoring the hydrogeological and land reclamation situation.
In the work the mechanism of flooding and under flooding processes in the irrigation zone on the areas free of drainage is established, the state of the hydro-geological and land reclamation situation is assessed, the efficiency of the vertical drainage operation is determined, and the improved drainage system designs are presented.
Methods of the research.The research was carried out at the research and production site with the area of 8500 hectares, located in the village of Podo-Kalinovka, Oleshkovsky district of Kherson region, within the irrigation zone of the North Crimean Canal. Assessment of flooding risks, their spatial distribution and efficiency of drainage systems were determined based on the results of the analysis of regime observations of the Kakhovka hydrogeological and land reclamation batch and operational data.
Research results. The generalization of the research results and experience in combating floods has shown that the main causes of flooding in the research area are the following: excessive rainfall, accumulation of surface runoff in the lowlands, groundwater resistance from the main aquifer, water filtration from the reservoir and canals, infiltration on irrigated lands, losses from water supply systems, lack or insufficient operation of drainage systems of surface runoff, insufficient operation of vertical drainage.
Conclusions. To solve the problem of flooding, an improved design of a drainage system was developed, which includes a network of open and closed collectors for the accumulation of surface runoff and the reduction of WGH to the values below the critical ones. The system involves connecting the vertical drainage to the well and removing excess water from the settlement and adjacent territories to the North Crimean Canal through a pressure pipeline.
2. Babitska, O.A. (2011). Efektivnist’ sistem inzhinernogo zahistu vid pidtoplenia samoplyvnogo typu ta prymusovogo typu ta napriamy iih udoskonalenia. [Efficiency of systems of engineering protection against flooding of self-propelled and forced type and directions of their improvement]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Kyiv. [in Ukrainian].
3. Granovska, L., & Zhuzha, P. (2015). Teoretychne obhruntuvannia inzhenernykh zakhodiv z borot’by zi shkidlyvoiu diieiu vod na terytorii smt Nova Maiachka Tsiurupyns’koho raionu Khersons’koi oblasti [Theoretical substantiation of the engineering measures to control harmful water effect on the territory of the urban-type settlement of Nova Maiachka, Tsiurupynsk Raion, Kherson oblast]. Tavriys'kyy naukovyy visnyk, Kherson: Grin’ D.S., 64, 79-82. [in Ukrainian].
4. Bygai, N.G., Vinogradov, S.G., & Vnychkov, V.V. et al. (1987). Drenazhnue sistemu v zone orosheniia. [Drainage systems in the irrigation zone]. Kyiv: Urozhay. [in Russian].
5. Rokochynskyi, A.M., Zhyvytsia, V.A., Volkova, L.A., & Romashchenko, M.I. (2017). Inzhenernyi zakhyst terytorii [Engineering protection of territories]. Kherson: OLDI Plus. [in Ukrainian].
6. Lipinskyi, V.M., Diachuk, V.A., & Babichenko, V.M. (2003). Klimat Ukrainy [The climate of Ukraine]. Kyiv: Vydavnytstvo Raievskoho. [in Ukrainian].
7. Molodyh, I. I. (1982). Grunty podov y stepnykh bliudets subaeralnoho pokrova Ukrayny (gydroheolohycheskye y inzhenerno-geolohycheskye osobennosty) [Soil pods and steppe saucers of the subaerial cover of Ukraine (hydrogeological and engineering-geological features)]. Naykova dymka. [in Russian].
8. Savchuk, D.P., Babitska, O.A., Kotykovych, I.V., & Kharlamov, O.I. (2018). Drenazhna systema [Drainage system]. Patent of Ukraine. №128616. [in Ukrainian].
9. Romashchenko M.I., Drachinskaia E.S., & Shevchenko A.M. (2005). Informaciyne zabezpechennia zroshyvanogo zemlerobstva. Konceptsiia, stryktyra, metodologiia organizatsiii. [Information provision for irrigated agriculture. Concept, structure, methodology of organization]. Kyiv: Agrarna nayka. [in Ukrainian].
10. Romashchenko, M., Shevchenko, A., Savchuk, D., & Krucheniuk, V. (2007). Stan ta problemy vertykalnoho drenazhu v Khersonskii oblasti [Status and problems of vertical drainage in the Kherson region]. Vodne gospodarstvo Ukrainy, 4, 44-55. [in Ukrainian].
11. Romashchenko, M.I., Vozhehova, R.A., & Shatkovskyi, A.P. (Ed.) (2017). Naukovi zasady rozvytku ahrarnoho sektora ekonomiky pivdennoho rehionu Ukrainy [Scientific principles of development of the agrarian sector of the economy of the southern region of Ukraine]. Kherson: OLDI-Plus, 438. [in Ukrainian].
12. Kharlamov, O.I. (2016). Rol’vertykalnoho drenazhu v zabezpechenni zakhystu vid pidtoplennia v zoni zroshennia Pivnichno-Krymskoho kanalu [The role of vertical drainage in providing protection against flooding in the irrigation zone of the North-Crimean Canal]. Vseukrainska nauk.-prakt. konf.: tezy dop., Kyiv: IVPiM NAAN, 132-133. [in Ukrainian].