GENERATION OF ELECTROMAGNETIC IMPULSES IN CLAYS DURING THEIR LOADING IN A LABORATORY ENVIRONMENT
The relevance of the research. Currently, filtration losses from water-bearing systems and controlling constructions are more than 30% which can be predominantly explained by unsatisfactory technical state of hydraulic engineering structures (HESs).
Diagnostics of technical state of HESs of agricultural assignment, relating to a failure effect (responsibility) class CC-1 (i.e. minor effects), is performed usually with the help of visual inspection during inter-vegetation period when irrigation system (IS) is waterless. Searching for low-cost techniques to estimate state of soil HESs as well as determination of areas within them requiring for priority repair is a topical theoretical and practical task.
Methods of the research. Geophysical method of natural impulse electromagnetic Earth’s field (NIEEF) may become such a technique; however, a problem of electromagnetic impulses (EMI) generation within soil masses is understudied despite the fact that they are the basic studied environment in the process of diagnostics of soil HESs of irrigation systems using the technique.
To make theoretical and experimental substantiation of the NIEEF method to identify zones of filtration as well as zones of raised watering within the body of small soil geotechnical structures, nature of EMI amplitude changes while transferring uniaxial static load to clay samples in laboratory environment has been analyzed. Similar experiments using idealized model validate opportunity to apply the NIEEF technique for estimation of engineering state of HESs.
Research results. The experiments were carried out using clay samples with natural moisture and those experienced additional watering. Soil porosity and soil porosity coefficient, being auxiliary characteristics to plot compression curves, were determined before compression tests and after them; standard calculation techniques were applied. The studies involved usual odometer; electromagnetic impulses were recorded with the help of МІЕМП-14/4 device (SIMEIZ series). The clay samples were loaded in accordance with actual pressure from plates and 4.2 m water layer within filled regulating pool (RP) which dimension was 4.789 kN/m2.
Analysis of results of the compression tests has verified the following: increased EMI values correspond to maximum stress state of loose soil, and vice versa – their decrease is typical for relaxations of soil samples as well as for their additional watering. Hence, extreme values of EMI oscillation amplitudes are registered at the beginning of the compression tests when the sample experiences the most intensive compression. Peak excitation results insignificant “fall” of EMI number; then it’s slow increase is observed depending upon the decreased intensity of soil compression.
Conclusions. The regularity makes it possible to substantiate theoretically the opportunity to apply rapid and low time-consuming as well as low-cost NIEEF method for diagnostics of engineering state of soil HESs. Previously, such experiments, concerning EMI generation, were carried out using crystalline rocks; loose rocks were involved for the first time.
2. Orlіns'ka, O. V., Pіkarenya, D. S., Chushkіna, І. V., & Gapіch, G.V. (2016). Rozrahunok vtrat vodi z magіstral'nogo kanalu za programoyu «Visual Modflow» [Calculation of water losses from the main channel under the program "Visual Modflow"]. Materіali Mіzhnarodnoyi naukovo-praktichnoyi konferencіyi «Suchasniy stan ta perspektivi rozvitku vodnogo gospodarstva». Dnіpropetrovs: Dnіpropetrovs'kiy derzhavniy agrarno-ekonomіchniy unіversitet: “SVIDLER”, 46-48. [in Ukrainian].
3. Pіkarenya, D.S., Nakonechniy, V.G., Orlіns'ka, O.V., Chushkina, I.V., Maksimova, N. M., & Gapіch, G.V. et al. (2018 ). Vyyavlenie zon fil'tracii vody iz orositel'nyh sistem geofizicheskim metodom [Detection of water filtration zones from irrigation systems by geophysical method]. Materialy mezhdunarodnoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferencii geosistemnyy podhod k izucheniyu prirodnoy sredy respubliki Kazahstan. Astana, Kazahstan.58-59. [in Russian].
4. Orlіns'ka, O.V., & Chushkina, I.V. (2016). Metodika rozrahunku vtrat vodi z magіstral'nogo kanalu za programoyu Visual Modflow 2.8 [Method of calculation of water losses from the main channel under the program Visual Modflow 2.8]. Materіali Vseukrayins'koyi naukovo-praktichnoyi konferencіyi "Voda і robochі mіscya". Kiev: ІVPіM, 98-99. [in Ukrainian].
5. Kuleshov, G.N. (2009). Rekomendacii po ocenke i obespecheniyu bezopasnosti gidrotehnicheskih sooruzheniy [Recommendations for assessing and ensuring the safety of hydraulic structures]. Tashkent. [in Russian].
6. Gamal, Z. Geophysical investigation of seepage from anearthfilldam [Geophysical investigation of seepage from anearthfilldam]. http://www.dot.state.fl.us / state materials office / geotechnical / conference / materials / aal-ism.
7. Ganesh, M. (2006). Monitoring of Tailings Dams with Geophysical Methods [Monitoring of Tailings Dams with Geophysical Methods]. Division of Ore Geology and Applied Geophysics, Luleå University of Technology SE-97187 LuleåSweden.
8. Gricay, E.Yu., Cibul'skaya, N.V. & Volkov, A.G. (2012). Primenenie metoda EIEMPZ pri izuchenii prirodnoy i tehnogennoy tektonіki Krivbasa [Application of the EIEMPZ method in the study of natural and man-made Kryvbas tectonics]. Geologo-geofіzichniy vіsnik, 2(28), 38-46. [in Russian].
9. Kuzmenko, E.D. Vdovina, E.P. & CHeban, V.D. (2002). Ob ispolzovanii nekotoryih elektricheskih parametrov pri prognoze opolznevyih yavleniy. [On the use of some electrical parameters in the prediction of landslide phenomena]. Nauk. vіsn. NGAU, 4, 89–91. [in Russian].
10. Salomatin, V.N. (2009). Mnogoletniy opyit primeneniya metoda EIEMPZ pri reshenii kompleksa zadach v Ukraine. [Many years of experience in using the EIEMPZ method in solving a set of tasks in Ukraine]. Sbornik trudov Mejdunar. nauchn. konf. [«Stanovlenie i razvitie nauchnyih issledovaniy v vyisshey shkole», posvyasch. 100-letiyu so dnya rojd. prof. A.A. Vorobeva. Tomskiy politehn. un-t., 2. Tomsk: Izd-vo Tomsk. politehn. un-ta, 384–391. [in Russian].
11. Assotsiatsiya іnjenernogo obrazovaniya Rossii (AIOR). (2009). Stanovlenie i razvitie nauchnyih issledovaniy v vyisshey shkole. [Formation and development of research in higher education]. Sbornik trudov mejdunarodnoy nauchnoy konferentsii, posvyaschennoy 100-letiyu so dnya rojdeniya professora A. A. Vorobev. Tomskiy politehnicheskiy universitet (TPU). Tomsk : Izd-vo TPU, 1. [in Russian].
12. Pіkarenya, D. S. & Orlіns'ka, O. V. (2009). Opyit primeneniya metoda estestvennogo impulsnogo elektromagnitnogo polya Zemli (EIEMPZ) dlya resheniya injenerno-geologicheskih i geologicheskih zadach. [Experience of using the method of natural pulsed electromagnetic field of the Earth (EIEMPZ) for solving engineering-geological and geological problems]. Dnepropetrovsk: SVIDLER. [in Russian].
13. Dalmatov, B. I. (1988). Mehanika ґruntov, osnovaniya i fundamentyi (vklyuchaya spetsialnyiy kurs injenernoy geologii). [Ground mechanics, foundations and foundations (including a special course in engineering geology)]. Leningrad: Stroyizdat. [in Russian].