System model of integrated management of the water resources of the Ingulets River by a basin principal
For integrated water management in river basins in Ukraine, there is no toolkit for system modeling and selection of management structure in river basins according to environmental and economic criteria, which corresponds to the creation of water management systems under conditions of sustainable development. Therefore, the urgent task is to develop a system model of integrated water management on the example of the Ingulets River basin.
The purpose of the work is to create a system model of integrated water resources management in Ingulets River basin, which provides scenario modeling of technological solutions, their evaluation and optimization of economic criteria for efficient water use under environmental constraints and criteria for achieving a good or excellent ecological status of the river basin.
The system model is used as a toolkit, the method of decomposition of the river basin into subsystems, analysis of subsystems and their composition into a holistic model of integrated management by the basin principle. Telecommunication methods are proposed to improve monitoring. A method of scenario analysis is proposed, which performs simulation modeling of prospective management scenarios at the first level of the hierarchy, and at the second level - options are evaluated according to the criteria of cost-effective water use with environmental objectives and regulatory restrictions. For simulation modeling, a system of balance difference equations for the dynamics of water masses, mixing and spreading of pollution in rivers and reservoirs is formalized. A system of combined control for the impulse method of river washing was developed. Multicriteria optimization of variants of the control structure is carried out on the Pareto principle.
A system model has been developed for integrated water resources management in the Ingulets River basin that meets the requirements of the EU Water Framework Directive on the establishment of cost-effective water use while ensuring good or excellent ecological status of rivers. The structural and functional diagram of the system model includes the subsystems: the water supply subsystem of the Dnipro-Ingulets canal; a subsystem for flushing the Ingulets River from the Karachunivske reservoir and displacing the saline prism into the Dnipro River; subsystem of environmental safety when discharging pollution into the river Ingulets; subsystem of water supply for irrigation in the Ingulets irrigation system, prevention of soil salinization. A system of technological, economic and environmental criteria for evaluating integrated management by the basin principle has been developed.
They include maintaining the water level in reservoirs, displacement of salt water prism and limitation on water quality, ensuring the ecological condition of the river, and the dynamics of water resources consumption. Technological criteria determine the maintenance of water levels in reservoirs. Cost-effective water use is estimated on the basis of the dynamics of water consumption for river washing and irrigation.
The formalized integrated management system in the Ingulets River basin includes operational water resources management and structure management. Integrated management is carried out according to subsystems, types of management and a system of criteria. For operational management the balance differential equations of water exchange in reservoirs are formalized. A two-layer model of water masses dynamics, pollutants distribution and mixing when flushing rivers from reservoirs is used.
Scenario analysis is offered to select the optimal structure of the management system. Simulation scenarios are being simulated. Scenario optimization is performed on the Pareto principle.
An example of evaluating the effectiveness of the proposed system and its comparison with the existing regulations for Ingulets River flushing is given.
2. Stashuk, V.A. & Yatsyk, A.V. (2007). Ukraina na shlyahu do baseynovoho pryntsypu upravlinnia vodnymy resursamy [Ukraine is on the way toward the basin principle of water resources management]. Vodne hospodarstvo Ukrainy, 4, 6 – 10. [in Ukrainian].
3. Klymchuk, O. M., Pinkina, T. V. & Pinkin, A. A. (2018). Vprovadzhennia systemy integrovanoho upravlinnia vodnymy resursamy za baseinovym pryntsepom [Adaptation of the integrated water resources management system based on the basin principle]. Scientific Journal Science Rise, 4(45), 36 – 40. [in Ukrainian].
4. Kovalchuk, P.І.& Kovalchuk V.P. (2015). Systemne upravlinnia yak rozvytok integrovanoho upravlinnia vodnym rezhymom meliorovanyh terytorii [System management as the integrated management development of the water regime of the reclaimed area]. Visnyk NUVGP, 3(71), 19 – 23. [in Ukrainian].
5. Zghurovs`kyi, M. Z., & Pankratova, N. D. (2007). Osnovy systemnoho analizu [Fundamentals of system analysis]. Kyiv: Vydavnycha grupa VNV. [in Ukrainian].
6. Zakon Ukrainy «Pro vnesennia zmin do deiakyh zakonodavchyh aktiv Ukrainy shchodo vprovadzhennia integrovanyh pidhodiv v upravlinni vodnymy resursamu za baseinovym pryntsepom» vid 4 zhovtnia 2016 roky № 1641-VIII. [The Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Implementation of Integrated approaches to the of Water Resources Management based on basin principle" of October 4, 2016, No. 1641-VIII] [in Ukrainian]
7. Kovalchuk, P. І., Matiash, T. V.,Kovalchuk, V. P., Demchuk, O. S., Balykhina, H. A., Gerus, A. V., &Pendak, N. V. (2019). Systemne modeliuvannia i upravlinnia vodo- i zemlekorystuvanniam: Monohrafiia. Kyiv: Ahrarna nauka. [in Ukrainian]
8. Kovalchuk, P., Kovalenko, R., & Balykhina, H. (2018). Methodological features of the concept of water use system management using basin principle. Land Reclamation and Water Management, 107(1), 17 - 23. https://doi.org/10.31073/mivg201801-115. [in Ukrainian].
9. Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy. (2000). Official Journal of the European Communities, ENL327/1.
10. Institute of Environmental Economics and Sustainable Development of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine»(2016). National paradigm of sustainable development for Ukraine. Kyiv.[in Ukrainian].
11. Romanenko, V.D. (1988). Metodyka ekolohichnoi otsinky yakosti poverkhnevykh vod za vidnovidnymy kategoriyamy. [The methodology of ecological assessment of surface water quality according to the relevant categories] Kyiv: Symvol-T, 28. [in Ukrainian].
12. Dzherela tsentralizovanoho pytnoho vodopostachannia. Hihiienichni ta ekolohichni vymohy shchodo yakosti vody i pravyla vybyrannia. [Sources of centralized drinking water supply. Hygienic and environmental requirements for water quality and selection rules]. (2007). DSTU 4808:2007. Natsionalnyi standart Ukrainy.Kyiv: Derzhspozhyvstandart Ukrainy. [in Ukrainian]
13. Yakist pryrodnoi vody dlia zroshennia. Ekolohichni kryterii. [Water quality for an irrigation. Ecological criteria]. (2012). DSTU 7286:2012.Natsionalnyi standart Ukrainy. Kyiv: Minekonomrozvytku Ukrainy. [in Ukrainian]
14. Yakist pryrodnoi vody dlia zroshennia. Ahronomichni kryterii [Water quality. Agronomic criteria]. (2015). DSTU 2730:2015.Natsionalnyi standart Ukrainy Kyiv: DP «UkrNDNTs» Ukrainy. [in Ukrainian]
15. Kovalchuk, P., Rozhko, V., Kovalchuk, V., Balykhina, H.,& Demchuk, O. (2019). Optimization of integrated water exchange management technologies in territorial systems for conditions of sustainable development. 14th International Conference on Computer Sciences and Information Technologies, Vol. 1, 80-83.
16. Keller, I.,& Schwartz, R. (2015) Instrument of the integrated pollutant/sediment menegment in the Elbe catchment area. International Conference RIVER BASINS 2015: Monitoring, Modelling & Management of Pollutants. Germany, Karlsruhe,67-74.
17. Environmental assessment accelerated Mahaweli development program. (1980). US Agency for International Development, New York: TAMS.
18. Investigation of Options to increase the flood mitigation performance of Wivenhoe Dam. (2011). Final Report. Brisben: GHD.
19. Babiy, P. O.,& Lisyuk, O. G. (2010). Man-made flood on the river Ros. Water management of Ukraine, 5, 4–6. [in Ukrainian]
20. Burlaka, B. (2011). The flushing Inhulets river in 2011. Water Management of Ukraine, 5, 17–18. [in Ukrainian]
21. Kovalchuk, P., Balykhina, H., Kovalenko, R., Demchuk,O., & Rozhon, V. (2018). Information technology of the system control of water use within river basins. Advances in Computer Science for Engineering and Education, 123-132. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-91008-6_13
22. Voitovich, O., & Kovalchuk, V. (2019).Monitoring research of field soil moisture to provide irrigation management on the base of an experimental and calculation method. Land Reclamation and Water Management, 2, 113 - 120. doi: https://doi.org/10.31073/mivg201902-179
23. Ivakhnenko, A., Peka, Y., & Vostrov, N. (1984). The Combined Method of Modeling Water and Oil Fields. Naukova Dumka, Kyiv. [in Russian]
24. Podinovsky, V., Noghin, V. (1982). "Pareto optimal solution for multicriterion problems" Nauka, Moscow. [In Russian]