Vanished and preserved lakes in Pozniaky area in Kyiv city
Based on cartographic sources and satellite imagery data, the changes in the hydrographic network in the left-bank part of Kyiv were analyzed. The main attention was paid to Pozniaky and Darnitsa residential districts. It was find out that in the past there were many rivers and lakes in this area, most of which have no longer existed. It was assumed that the disappearance of many water bodies, mentioned in historical sources, may have been caused by climate change, including rising of air temperature since the late 19th century. Another factor was economic activity - first of all, increasing the marks of the area on the eve of the construction of new housing estates and industrial enterprises. In addition, the hydrographic network was influenced by the construction in 1868–1870 of the railway, which cut off on two parts the largest lake Telbyn in this district.
Information on vanished lakes, as well as on those that have been preserved is given. The main attention was paid to two small lakes within the Pozniaky-2 residenal district: Zhandarka and Kachyne. Their size and ecological state were determined. It was find out that the water in the lakes is essentially contaminated with organic matters, which as evidenced by the significant level of chemical oxygen consumption. This is especially true for Kachyne Lake. which has now become isolated from others. The data on the bottom sediments in these lakes are presented. The characteristic species of aquatic and air-aquatic vegetation are described.Based on remote sensing data, the positive effect of lakes on the microclimate of the area is shown. It was established that the ecological state of most of the remained water bodies is problematic, but their existence enriches the landscape and they are recreational places. It was made the conclusion that it is advisable to preserve these lakes as natural objects in this area. In the authors’ opinion it is appropriate to create the Cadastre of water bodies of Kyiv as one of the ways to preserve these ones in the city.
2. Vyshnevskyi,V.I. (2011). Rika Dnipro [The Dnipro River]. Kyiv: Interpress LTD. [in Ukrainian].
3. Vyshnevskyi,V.I. (2013). Mali richky Kyieva [Small rivers of Kyiv]. Kyiv: Interpress LTD. [in Ukrainian].
4. Vyshnevskyi, V.I., & Shuvchuk, S.A. (2018). Vykorystannia danykh distantsiinoho zonduvannia Zemli u doslidzhenniakh vodnykh obiektiv Ukrainy [Use of remote sensing data in surveys of Ukraine water objects]. Kyiv: Interpress LTD. [in Ukrainian].
5. Koziuba, V., & Vortman, D. (2017). Okolitsy Kyiva naprikintsi XVIII stolittia: Sproba kartohrafichnoi rekonstruktsii. U knyzi: Antropolohia prostoru. T. 1. Kulturnyi landshaft Kyiva ta joho okolits [The outskirts of Kyiv at the end of eighteenth century: An Attempt of Cartographic Reconstruction. In the book: Space anthropology. T. 1. The cultural landscape of Kyiv and its outskirts]. M. Grymych (Ed.) Kyiv: Vydavnutstvo Duliby. [in Ukrainian].
6. Levi, K.G. (2014). Malui lednikovui period. Chast 1. Kosmicheskiie i globalnyie aspekty [Small ice age. Part I. Cosmic and global meteorological aspects]. Izvestia Irkutskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Arheologiia i geoekologiia [Bulletin of Irkutsk State University. Archeology and geoecology], Vol. 8, 2–14. [in Russian].
7. Naursbaiev, M.M., Vaganov, M.M., & Sidorova, O.V. (2003). Izmenchivost prizemnoi temperatury vozdukha na severe Evrazii po danym tysiacheletnikh drevesno-koltsevykh khronologii [Variability of surface air temperature in the north of Eurasia according to the data of thousand-year tree-ring chronologies]. Kriosfera Zemli [Earth cryosphere], 2 (7), 84–91. [in Russian].
8. Pokotilo, M.I., & Pokotilo, N.O. (2013). Pozniky i pozniakivtsi [Poznyaki and its inhabitans]. Kyiv: Feniks. [in Ukrainian].
9. Rybakov, M.O. (1997). Nevidomi ta malovidomi storynki istorii Kyieva. [Unknown and little known pages of Kyiv history]. Kyiv: Kyi. [in Ukrainian].
10. Sbornik materialov dlia istoricheskoi topografii Kieva i ego okrestnostei. (1874). [Collection of materials for the historical topography of Kiev and its outskirts]. Kiev: Tipografia E.A. Fedorova. Retrieved from: http://www.ex.ua/930765864453. [in Russian].
11. Stepanets, K.M. (2015). Malye reki Kieva i ego issledovateli [Small rivers of Kyiv and their researchers]. Kyiv: Varto. [in Russian].
12. Shvets, G.I. (1964). Kharakteristiki vodnosti richok Ukrainy [Water characteristics of rivers of Ukraine]. Kyiv: Nauk. dumka. [in Ukrainian].
13. Shevchuk, S.A., & Vyshnevskyi, V.I. (2016). Vykoristannia dannukh sypytnyka Landsat 8 dlia vyznachennia mikroclimatychnykh osoblivostei Kyiva [Using of Landsat 8 satellite data for determination of microclimatic peculiarities of Kyiv]. Ukrainskyi Journal distantsiinoho zonduvannia Zemli [Ukrainian Journal of Remote Sensing], 10, 4–9. [in Ukrainian].
14. Shevchuk, S.A., & Vyshnevskyi, V.I. (2016). Chy je ozero Kachyne ozerom? Chy ye ozero Kachyne ozerom? [Is lake Kachine a lake?]. Suchasni problem arhitectury ta mistobuduvannia [Modern problems of architecture and urban planning], 46, 362–366. [in Ukrainian].
15. Shevchuk, S.A., Kozutskyi, O.M., & Vyshnevskyi, V.I. (2017). Suchasnui stan oz. Almazne ta zakhody z joho ozdorovlennia [The current state of the lake Almazne and measures for its ecological rehabilitation]. Melioratsiia i vodne hospodarstvo [Reclamation and water management], Iss. 105, 39–45. [in Ukrainian].
16. Shirochin, C., Mykhailyk, O., & Stepanets, K. (2018). Nevidome Livoberezhia [Unknown Left Bank]. Kyiv: Samizdat. [in Ukrainian].