Results of the evaluation of the semi-empirical model on the selection of optimal constructive and technological parameters for a granulated loading filter
Topicality. A survey of the water use system at a state-owned enterprise processing agricultural products revealed the technological processes that cause biofouling of pipelines by colloidal inclusions (mainly phytoplankton conglomerates of blue-green algae). The implementation of measures that can protect existing technological structures against the ingress of significant masses of phytoplankton is an urgent task that can be solved with the help of mechanical filters. The efficiency of previous granulated loading filters depends very much on the properties of the filter loading. When filter loading is made of foamed polystyrene granules of food brands, phytoplankton retention is quite effective due to the physical adsorption of cyanobacteria conglomerates on the surface of these granules.
Research results. By applying the semi-empirical model developed in IWPLR of NAAS, the optimal design and technological parameters of the filter with foam polystyrene loading were selected. That enabled to develop the design of a clarifying filter - a phytoplankton retainer for the treatment of circulating water at the enterprise Chervonoslobidsky distillery.
In the lower part of the filter the lower drainage system in the form of a false bottom is placed, equipped with hole caps. It provides the source water entry for filtration and discharge of flush water during filter washing. The granules of the filter loading are kept from floating with the false bottom of the upper drainage, which is equipped with return filters - hole caps. Filtered water is collected in the abovefiltering space between the false bottom and the upper part of the filter body, from where it is delivered through a pipeline to the consumers.
The application of the developed filter design allows reducing the construction costs and simplifies the filter design, which in turn increases its reliability and overall service life. The practical application of this filter provided the required degree of retention of cyanobacteria cells and conglomerates from the treated water. This filter design differs from the standard with a 1.5 times increased filter loading layer. This enabled to double the duration of a filter cycle and, at the same time, did not increase the volume of flushing water, i.e. operating costs.
Conclusions. Based on the results of the developed semi-empirical model, the design and technological parameters of granular filters for recycling of wastewater from the distilleries were determined, which became the basis for developing a new filter design for water purification from cyanobacteria cells and colonies. The high efficiency of the developed design of the clarifying filter - phytoplankton retainer was experimentally proved. The use of the developed filter increases the economic efficiency of the circulating use of the wastewater from Chervonoslobidsky distillery by 1.3 - 1.5 times compared to the market offers of mechanical filters.
2. Zhurba, M. H. (2011). Vodoochistnyye fil'try s plavayushchey zagruzkoy [Water purification filters with floating load]. Moscow [in Russian].
3. Mosiichuk, Y. B., & Khoruzhyi, V. P. (2019). Ratsionalʹni konstruktyvni i tekhnolohichni parametry ustanovok dlya doochyshchennya stichnykh vod u silʹsʹkiy mistsevosti [Rational construction and technological parameters of water treatment facilities in rural areas]. Melioratsiya i vodne hospodarstvo – Land reclamation and water management, 109(1), 74-81. Kiev [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.31073/mivg201901-167
4. Martynov, S., Kunytskiy, S., & Orlova, A. (2017). A simulation study of surface water purifying through a polystyrene foam filter. Eastern-European Journal of Enterprise Technologies, 5(10(89)), 19-26. https://doi.org/10.15587/1729-4061.2017.109841
5. Martynov, S. Y., Orlova, A. M., & Kunytskiy, S. O., (2017). Pinopolistyrolʹni filʹtry v skhemakh kontaktnoho znezaliznennya vody [Polystyrene foam filters in contact water deironing schemes]. Naukovyy visnyk budivnytstva – Scientific Bulletin of Construction, 87(1), 148-151. Kharkiv [in Ukrainian].
6. Kvartenko, O. M. (2013). Doslidzhennya protsesu znezaliznennya pidzemnykh vod na filʹtrakh z riznymy typamy napovnyuvachiv [Investigation of the process of groundwater deironing on filters with different types of fillers]. Problemy vodopostachannya, vodovidvedennya ta hidravliky – Problems of water supply, sewerage and hydraulic, 22, 46-56. Kiev [in Ukrainian].
7. Greven, A.-C., Merk, T., & Karagöz, F. (2016). Polycarbonate and polystyrene nanoplastic particles act as stressors to the innate immune system of fathead minnow (Pimephales promelas): Nanoplastics’ effect on the immune system of fish. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 35(12), 3093-3100. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.3501
8. Charnyi, D. V., & Onanko, Yu. A. (2019). Analiz elektrostatychnykh vlastyvostey pinopolistyrolʹnoho filʹtruvalʹnoho zavantazhennya [Analysis of electrostatic properties of polystyrene foam filtration media]. Melioratsiya i vodne hospodarstvo – Land reclamation and water management, 110(2), 167-174. Kiev [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.31073/mivg201902-183
9. Ozkan, A., Sener, A., & Ucbeyiay, H. (2017). Investigation of coagulation and electrokinetic behaviors of clinoptilolite suspension with multivalent cations. Separation Science and Technology, 53(5), 823–832. https://doi.org/10.1080/01496395.2017.1380669
10. Kuzniatsova, T., Kim, Y., Shqau, K., Dutta, P. K., & Verweij, H. (2007). Zeta potential measurements of zeolite Y: Application in homogeneous deposition of particle coatings. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 103(1–3), 102–107.
11. Jinkeun Kim, & Desmond F. Lawler. (2005). Characteristics of Zeta Potential Distribution in Silica Particles. Bulletin of the Korean Chemical Society, 26(7), 1083–1089. https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2005.26.7.1083
12. Rosenberg, M. (1981). Bacterial adherence to polystyrene: a replica method of screening for bacterial hydrophobicity. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 42(2), 375-377.
13. Onanko, A. P., Kuryliuk, V. V., Onanko, Y. A., & Kuryliuk, A. M. (2020). Peculiarity of elastic and inelastic properties of radiation cross-linked hydrogels. Journal of Nano- and Electronic Physics, 12(4), 04026-1-04026-5. https://doi.org/10.21272/jnep.12(4).04026
14. Fattom, A., & Shilo, M. (1984). Hydrophobicity as an Adhesion Mechanism of Benthic Cyanobacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 47, 135-143.
15. Vodopostachannya. Zovnishni merezhi ta sporudy. Osnovni polozhennya proektuvannya [Water-supply. External networks and buildings fundamental designing statements]. (2013). DBN V.2.5-74:2013. From 01th January 2014. Kyiv: Ministerstvo rehional’noho rozvytku, budivnytstva ta zhytlovo-komunal’noho hospodarstva Ukrayiny [in Ukrainian].