Protection of Nova Mayachka village of Oleshky district in Kherson region against the harmful effects of water
Topicality. In the conditions of modern management the issue of territory protection against the harmful effects of water acquires special urgency. In the southern region of Ukraine alone, more than 2.9 million hectares of land and 2,135 settlements are affected by flooding and underflooding. An illustrative example of the complexity of solving the problem of protection of drainless territory against the harmful effects of water is the village of Nova Mayachka of Oleshkv district in Kherson region, which is located within a large depression morphostructure and is affected by the Kakhovske reservoir, North Crimean Canal, irrigation systems and climate fluctuations.
Purpose of the work is to substantiate a set of measures to protect the territory of Nova Mayachka village of Oleshky district in Kherson region against the harmful effects of water. The main task of the research is to specify the factors of flooding and underflooding developing in the village, to determine the mechanism of GWL regime and to develop a set of protective measures.
Methods and the objects of the research. The research was carried out at the research and production site, which is located within the village. As part of the research, an analysis of natural and water management conditions, assessment of the hydrogeological and reclamation condition of the territory as well as the efficiency of drainage systems operation were performed.
Research results and main conclusions. Based on the research results, the reasons of flooding, patterns of GWL depths and fluctuation dynamics and the efficiency of different types of drainage in the village of Nova Mayachka were specified. It was found out that in the conditions of stable operation of wells vertical drainage ensured the weighted average depth of groundwater level in the village of 2.9-3.1 m against 1.6 m before the start of drainage operation or in conditions of its insufficient functioning. But over time, the existing protection system of the village failed to provide the necessary groundwater lowering due to the deficiency of its work and the increase in water load on the territory due to increasing rainfall and enlarging irrigation areas.
Groundwater levels rose to 0-2 m, and in wet periods against the background of drainage the flooding of drainless territory was observed. Recently, groundwater levels in the village have tended to a rise above critical depths. The drainage facilities by its design features fail to eliminate surface water flooding.
To protect the village of Nova Mayachka from flooding and underflooding, a set of measures is proposed, which provides for the installation of a combined drainage system with free-flowing water removal or pumping of drainage runoff outside the village into the North Crimean Canal or the Dnieper River.
2. Babitska, O.A. (2011). Efektivnist’ sistem inzhinernogo zahistu vid pidtoplenia samoplyvnogo typu ta prymusovogo typu ta napriamy iih udoskonalenia. [Efficiency of systems of engineering protection against flooding of self-propelled and forced type and directions of their improvement]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Kyiv. [in Ukrainian]
3. Bakhtiiarova, L.I. (2014). Prychyny ta naslidky melioratsii v pivnichnomu Prychornomor’i: drenazhni systemy [Causes and effects of reclamation in the northern Black Sea: drainage systems]. Visnyk Odeskoho natsionalnoho universytetu: Heohrafichni ta heolohichni nauky, Vyp. 2. [in Ukrainian].
4. Meliorativnyye sistemy i sooruzheniya. Drenazh na oroshayemykh zemlyakh. Normy proyektirovaniya. (1987). [Reclamation systems and facilities. Drainage on irrigated lands. Design Standards]. VSN 33-2.2.03-86. Moskva. [in Russian]
5. Granovska, L., & Zhuzha, P. (2015). Teoretychne obhruntuvannia inzhenernykh zakhodiv z borot’by zi shkidlyvoiu diieiu vod na terytorii smt Nova Maiachka Tsiurupyns’koho raionu Khersons’koi oblasti [Theoretical substantiation of the engineering measures to control harmful water effect on the territory of the urban-type settlement of Nova Maiachka, Tsiurupynsk Raion, Kherson oblast]. Tavriys'kyy naukovyy visnyk, Kherson: Grin’ D.S., 64, 79-82. [in Ukrainian]
6. Zamorij, P.K. (1961). Chetvertynni vidklady Ukrayinskoyi RSR. [Quaternary deposits of the Ukrainian SSR] Chastyna 1. Kyiv: Vydavnycztvo Kyiv. universytetu, 550 p. [in Ukrainian]
7. Baer R. A., Gryiza, A.A., Lyutaev, V.V., & Smirnov, R.A. (1978). Inzhenerno-geologicheskoe obosnovanie meliorativnogo stroitelstvayu [Engineering and geological substantiation of reclamation construction]. Kiev: BudIvelnik. [in Russian]
8. Lipinskyi, V.M., Diachuk, V.A., & Babichenko, V.M. (2003). Klimat Ukrainy [The climate of Ukraine]. Kyiv: Vydavnytstvo Raievskoho. [in Ukrainian]
9. Oleunik, A.Ia. et al. (1986). Metodicheskie rekomendacii po raschetam zashchitu territorii ot podtopleniia v zone orosheniia. [Methodical recommendations on calculations of protection of territories from flooding in the irrigation zone]. Kyiv: Minvodhoz USSR, Instityt Gidromehaniki AN USSR, Ukrgiprovodkhoz. [in Russian].
10. Miroshnychenko, O.I., & Zhuzha, V.V. (2012). Analiz roboty drenazhu v mezhax terasovo-del`tovoyi dolyny Dnipra ta perspektyvy jogo podal`shogo vykorystannya. [Analysis of drainage operation within the terrace-delta valley of the Dnieper and prospects for its further use]. Zb. materialiv Mizhnarod. nauk.-prakt. konf.: Ekologichni problemy pryrodokorystuvannya ta oxorony melioratyvnyh landshaftiv. Kherson: VRR «Kolos», 198-202. [in Ukrainian]
11. Molodyh, I. I. (1982). Grunty podov y stepnykh bliudets subaeralnoho pokrova Ukrayny (gydroheolohycheskye y inzhenerno-geolohycheskye osobennosty) [Soil pods and steppe saucers of the subaerial cover of Ukraine (hydrogeological and engineering-geological features)]. Naykova dymka. [in Russian]
12. Morozov, V.V., & Golovashhenko, V.M. (2019). Efektyvnist` gidrotexnichny`h zaxodiv iz zaxystu vid pidtoplennya smt Nova Mayachka Khersons`koyi oblasti. [The effectiveness of hydraulic measures to protect against flooding Nova Mayachka village of Kherson region]. II Vseukrayins`ka nauk.-prakt. konf. mol. vchenyh: Gidrotehnichne budivnycztvo: mynule, sogodennya, majbutnye. Kherson: DVNZ «KhDAU», 111-114. [in Ukrainian].
13. Muromtsev, N.N., Blohina, N.N., & Drachinskaya, E.S. (1991). Otsenka gidrogeologo-meliorativnogo sostoyaniya oroshaemyih zemel. [Assessment of the hydrogeological and reclamation condition of irrigated lands]. Kiev: Urozhay. [in Russian]
14. Savchuk, D.P., Babitska, O.A., Kotykovych, I.V., & Kharlamov, O.I. (2018). Drenazhna systema [Drainage system]. Patent of Ukraine. №128616.
15. Savchuk, D.P., & Babitska, O.A. (2011). Drenazhna systema [Drainage system]. Patent of Ukraine. №56753.
16. Perehrest, S.M., & Gogun, V.L. (1968). O merah borbyi s povyisheniem urovnya gruntovyih vod na Krasnoznamenskom oroshaemom masive. [On measures to combat the rise in the level of groundwater in the Krasnoznamensk irrigated massif]. Gidrotehnika i melioratsiya, 11, 48-56. [in Russian]
17. Perehrest, S.M. (1962). Oroshenie zemel yuga Ukrainyi. [Irrigation of lands in the south of Ukraine]. Kiev: Izd-vo AN USSR. [in Russian]
18. Romashchenko, M.I., & Savchuk, D.P. (1998). Pidtoplennia Pivdnia Ukrainy: prychyny ta zapobizhni zakhody [Flooding of the South of Ukraine: Causes and Precautions]. Kiyv. Vodne gospodarstvo Ukrainu, Iss. 5-6, 6-12. [in Ukrainian].
19. Ryabtsev, M.P. (2010) Zavisimost effektivnostivertikalnogo drenazha ot stabilnosti rabotyi drenazhnyih nasosnyih stantsiy [Dependence of the efficiency of vertical drainage on the stability of the drainage pumping stations]. Vodne gospodarstvo Ukrainu. №5. p.9–13. [in Russian].
20. Ryabtsev, M.P. (2005) Podtoplenie i zatoplenie territoriy naselennyih punktov – problemyi, trebuyuschie kompleksnogo resheniya [Flooding and flooding of populated areas - problems requiring a comprehensive solution]. Sb. Melioratsiya i vodne gospodarstvo, Kiyv: Agrarna nauka, vip. 92, p.173-182. [in Russian].
21. Serbin, A.M., & Zaharova, V.Ya. (1972). Ob izmeneniyah gidrogeologo-meliorativnoy obstanovki na Krasnoznamenskom masive orosheniya i rezultatah primeneniya vertikalnogo drenazha na sisteme. [On changes in the hydrogeological-reclamation situation on the Krasnoznamensk irrigation array and the results of the use of vertical drainage on the system]. Materialyi mezhvedomtsvennogo soveschaniya po meliorativnoy gidrogeologii i inzhenernoy geologii. Vyipusk II. Moskva, 400-407. [in Russian]
22. Smirnov, R.A. Nekotoryie voprosyi proektirovaniya melioratsii v oroshaemoy zone yuga Ukrainy [Some questions of the design of land reclamation in the irrigated zone of the south of Ukraine]. Sb.: Vodnoe hozyaystvo. Vyp. 5, 82-91. [in Russian]
23. Kharlamov, O.I. (2018). Ryzyky pidtoplennya ta shlyakhy yikh zmenshennya v zoni zroshennya Pivnichno-Krymsʹkoho kanalu. [Chance of flooding and way of their decrease in a zone of an irrigation of the North Crimean canal]. Melioraciia i vodne gospodarstvo, 2(108), 47-51. [in Ukrainian].