Specifying the parameters of the Kamianske Reservoir
The relevance of research is the lack of actual parameters of the Dnipro Сascade.
The purpose and objectives of the study are to specify the actual parameters of the Kamianske Reservoir, which is the part of the Dnipro Cascade.
Methods and techniques. The study was based on using the actual Navigation map of the Kamianske Reservoir. The available data were processed when using AutoCAD program. The satellite images were used as well.
Results and main conclusions. It was identified that the main parameters of the Kamianske Reservoir, which is the part of the Dnipro Cascade, significantly differ from those obtained earlier, in particular, which are given in the operation rules of the Dnipro Сascade. The most important parameters of the Kamianske Reservoir to keep normal retention level (64.0 m) are as follows: water area (water surface) – 537 km2, total volume – 2636 million m3, useful storage capacity – 495 million m3. A small increase in the total volume compared to the project one is supposed to be the result of significant extraction of construction raw materials from the bottom of the reservoir. The reservoir length, depending on the ways of measuring, varies from 119 to 137 km. It was determined that the actual maximum depth of the reservoir (23 m) is significantly larger than it is indicated in reference books. The actual average depth of 5.8 m is significantly larger as well.
Some parameters of the reservoir, which were previously ignored by researchers, are given as a result of the study. This parameter, in particular, is the area of the islands, which is 48.9 km2. The area of shallow water with depths less than 2 m is 152.4 km2. This area is mainly located in the upper and middle parts of the reservoir – mainly near the left bank. An important parameter is the cross section of the central reach of the reservoir, where the main movement of water is observed. Depending on the length of the reservoir, this cross-section varies in the range of 17,900–20,600 m2. The smallest cross-section is a characteristic feature of the upper part of the reservoir that causes an increase in flow velocity above 1.0 m/sec. It was concluded that the existing operation rules of the Dnipro Сascade does not correspond to the present and require the radical improvement. A mandatory requirement for the new rules is specifying the modern parameters of the reservoirs, built on the Dnipro River. Perspectives. There is need to specify the parameters of all reservoirs of the Dnipro Сascade. It is a basis for the development of new operation rules for the Dnipro Сascade.
2. Shapar, A.G. (2014). Vyznachennia aktualnykh ekolohychnykh parametriv dniprovskykh vodoskhovyshch za dopomohoiy geoinformatsiinykh tekhnolohyi [Determination of actual ecological parameters of the Dnipro Reservoirs with the help of geoinformation technologies]. Ekolohyja i pryrodokorystuvannia, 18, 139–146 [in Ukrainian].
3. Vyshnevskyi,V.I. (2011). Rika Dnipro [The Dnipro River]. Kyiv: Interpress LTD. [in Ukrainian].
4. Vyshnevskyi, V.I., & Shevchuk, S.A. (2018). Vykoristannia danykh distantsiinoho zonduvannia Zemli v doslidzhenniakh vodnykh obiektiv Ukrainy [Use of remote sensing data for the researches of water objects of Ukraine]. Kyiv: Interpress LTD. [in Ukrainian].
5. Vyshnevskyi, V., Shevchuk, S., & Yatsyuk, M. (2018). Aktualnist novykh pravyl ekspluatatsii kaskadu Dniprovskykh vodoshovyshch [Relevance of new operation rules of the cascade of the Dnipro Reservoirs]. Visnuk agrarnoi nauki, 9, 57– 63. [in Ukrainian].
6. Khilchevskoho, V.K. & Grebenia, V,V. (Ed.) (2014). Vodnyi fond of Ukraine: Shtuchni vodoimy – vodoshovyshcha i stavky: Dovidnyk [Water Fund of Ukraine: Artificial reservoirs - reservoirs and ponds: Handbook]. Kyiv: Interpres. [in Ukrainian].
7. Kaganer M.S. (Ed.) (1976). Kaskad Dneprovskykh vodoshovyshch [Cascade of the Dnipro Reservoirs]. Leningrad: Hydrometeoizdat. [in Russian].
8. Yatsyk, A.V., Tomiltseva, A.I., & Tomiltsev, M.G. (2003). Pravyla ekspluatatsii vodoskhovyshch Dniprovskoho kaskadu [Operation rules of the Dnipro Sascade of reservoirs. Kyiv: Geneza. [in Ukrainian].
9. Richkova navihatsiina karta Dnipodzerzhinskoho vodoshovyshcha ta hyrlovoi chastyny richky Vorskla [Riverine navigational map of the Dniprodzerzhynsk Reservoir and the mouth of the Vorskla River]. (2011). Kyiv: FDU Ukrmorkartographia. [in Ukranian].
10. Starodubtsev, V.M. (2011). Formuvannia Prypiatsko-Dniprovskoi delty u Kyivskomy vodoshovyshchi [Formation of the Pripyat-Dnieper Delta in the Kyivske reservoir]. Georraphia, ekonomyka, ekolohiia, turizm. Rehionalny studii, 5, 214–221. [in Ukrainian].
11. Tomchenko, O.V. (2013). Analiz dynamiki zarostannia makrofitamy verhivia Kyivskoho vodoshovyshcha na osnovi GIS/DZZ tekhnologii [Analysis of macrophyte overgrowth dynamics of the upper Kyiv Reservoir on the basis of GIS / RST]. Uchenye zapiski Tavricheskoho universiteta imeni V.I. Vernadskoho, Seriia Geographiia, 26, 1, 156–164. [in Ukrainian].