Protection against the harmful effects of water on the left bank terrace of the Lower Dnipro River
Relevance of research. In the area of irrigated agriculture, one of the most difficult as to developing flooding processes is the area of terrace drift within the ancient delta of the Lower Dnieper in Kherson region. The terrace area is located on a flat area within a large drainless bowl about 40 km long and up to 5-10 km wide. On the surface of the bowl there are large drainless depressions (Chornyanske, Novomayatske, Podokalynivske, Tarasivske) and many small ones.
The purpose of the work is to establish the patterns of developing flooding processes and substantiate a system of reliable protection of the territory against that in difficult natural and water conditions.
Methods and objects of research. The research was conducted at the research and production site located near Tarasivka village, Oleshkiv district, Kherson region. The results of the research were based on the data of reconnaissance surveys, long-term observations on the depths of the groundwater table (GWT), precipitation, space images, etc. In addition, it was assumed that the area is considered to be flooded if the depth of the GWT exceeds the critical limit, which for the study region is defined as 2 m.
Research results and main conclusions. In modern conditions, part of the village and adjacent lands are subject to constant groundwater flooding and periodically surface water flooding. In the central part of the village, groundwater depths exceed the critically acceptable depth, which for the study region is defined as 2 m. The water and ecological situation in the village is significantly exacerbated in wet periods. Current development of flooding within the terrace requires the development and implementation of a more effective protection system. One of the important options for protecting the village territory is the construction of a horizontal drainage system, which is set up in the village and its surroundings. The depth of drainage is 3.0-3.2 m. The runoff is discharged into the North-Crimean Canal by means of a pressure pipeline. The surface drainage system should be represented by a network of trays and ditches arranged in the streets of the village and a collector, which provides self-flowing of excess water into an artificial reservoir - pond. Options for the reconstruction of the NCC, which provide for using the drainage capacity of the canal and the construction of a regional self-flowing reservoir, were addressed. The modernization of irrigation and drainage systems and implementation of the developed proposals will significantly increase the protection level of the ancient terrace of the Dnieper River against the harmful effects of water. The decision on a proposal is made on the basis of feasibility study.
2. Bakhtiiarova, L.I. (2014). Prychyny ta naslidky melioratsii v pivnichnomu Prychornomor’i: drenazhni systemy [Causes and effects of reclamation in the northern Black Sea: drainage systems]. Visnyk Odeskoho natsionalnoho universytetu: Heohrafichni ta heolohichni nauky, 2, 80-100 [in Ukrainian].
3. Blokhina, N.N., & Burdyn, L.M. Izmeneniye gidrogeologicheskikh usloviy Krasnoznamenskogo oroshayemogo massiva pri deystvii vertikal'nogo drenazha [Changes in the hydrogeological conditions of the Krasnoznamensk irrigated massif under the action of vertical drainage].V kn.: Formirovaniye gidrogeologo-meliorativnykh usloviy na oroshayemykh i osushayemykh zemlyakh. Kiev:UkrNYYHyM, 42-46.
4. Burdyn, L.M. (1980) Drenazh nekotorykh krupnykh podov levoberezh'ya Nizhnego Dnepra v svyazi s ikh geologicheskim stroyeniyem i gidrogeologicheskimi usloviyami [Drainage of some large bottoms on the left bank of the Lower Dnieper due to their geological structure and hydrogeological conditions]. V kn.: Regional'nyye osobennosti podov i zapadinnogo mikrorel'yefa Ukrainy. Kiev, 27-29. [in Russian].
5. Meliorativnyye sistemy i sooruzheniya. Drenazh na oroshayemykh zemlyakh. Normy proyektirovaniya. (1987). [Reclamation systems and facilities. Drainage on irrigated lands. Design Standards]. VSN 33-2.2.03-86. Moskva. [in Russian].
6. Granovska, L., Zhuzha, P., & Lypynets, I. (2013). Ekoloho-melioratyvne obgruntuvannia vykorystannia drenazhnoi vody dlia zroshennia [Ecological and reclamation substantiation of drainage water use for irrigation]. Vodne gospodarstvo Ukrainu, 2, 22-26. [in Ukrainian].
7. Zamorij, P.K. (1961). Chetvertynni vidklady Ukrayinskoyi RSR. [Quaternary deposits of the Ukrainian SSR]. (Chastyna 1). Kyiv: Vydavnycztvo Kyiv. Universytetu. [in Ukrainian].
8. Baer R. A., Gryiza, A.A., Lyutaev, V.V., & Smirnov, R.A. (1978). Inzhenerno-geologicheskoe obosnovanie meliorativnogo stroitelstvayu [Engineering and geological substantiation of reclamation construction]. Kiev: Budivelnik. [in Russian].
9. Lipinskyi, V.M., Diachuk, V.A., & Babichenko, V.M. (2003). Klimat Ukrainy [The climate of Ukraine]. Kyiv: Vydavnytstvo Raievskoho. [in Ukrainian].
10. Oleunik, A.I. (1986). Metodicheskie rekomendacii po raschetam zashchitu territorii ot podtopleniia v zone orosheniia. [Methodical recommendations on calculations of protection of territories from flooding in the irrigation zone]. Instityt Gidromehaniki AN USSR. Ukrgiprovodkhoz.Kyiv: Minvodhoz USSR. [in Russian].
11. Muromtsev, N.N., Blohina, N.N., & Drachinskaya, E.S. (1991). Otsenka gidrogeologo-meliorativnogo sostoyaniya oroshaemyih zemel. [Assessment of the hydrogeological and reclamation condition of irrigated lands]. Kiev: Urozhay. [in Russian].
12. Romashchenko, M.I., Savchuk, D.P., Shevchenko, A.M., Babitska, O.A., Kuzmin, V.V., & Riabtsev, M.P. (2012). Vodovidvidnyy kolektor z drenoyu [Drainage collector with drain]. Patent of Ukraine. № 75000.
13. Savchuk, D.P., Babitska, O.A., Shevchenko, A.M., Zemlianska, D.P., & Kharlamov, O.I. (2018). Vodovidvidna systema akumulyatsiyno-pohlynalʹnoho typu [Drainage system accumulative-absorbing type]. Patent of Ukraine. № 122636.
14. Perehrest, S.M. (1962). Oroshenie zemel yuga Ukrainyi. [Irrigation of lands in the south of Ukraine]. Kiev: Izd-vo AN USSR. [in Russian].
15. Romashchenko, M.I., Savchuk, D.P., & Shevchenko, A.M. (2007) Skhema kompleksnoho zakhystu vid zatoplennya i pidtoplennya u Khersonsʹkiy oblasti [Scheme of complex protection against flooding and flooding in the Kherson region]. Kiyv. Vodne gospodarstvo Ukrainu, 5, 20-28. [in Ukrainian].
16. Ryabtsev, M.P. (2007) Skhema rayonirovaniya zony ustoychivogo podtopleniya primorskikh territoriy Khersonshchiny i Severnogo Prisivash'ya [Zoning scheme of the zone of sustainable flooding of the coastal territories of the Kherson region and the Northern Sivash region.]. Meloratsíya í vodne gospodarstvo, 95, 167-176. [in Russian].
17. Serbin, A.M., & Zaharova, V.Y. (1972). Ob izmeneniyah gidrogeologo-meliorativnoy obstanovki na Krasnoznamenskom masive orosheniya i rezultatah primeneniya vertikalnogo drenazha na sisteme. [On changes in the hydrogeological-reclamation situation on the Krasnoznamensk irrigation array and the results of the use of vertical drainage on the system]. Materialyi mezhvedomtsvennogo soveschaniya po meliorativnoy gidrogeologii i inzhenernoy geologii. (Vol. 2). Moskva, 400-407. [in Russian].
18. Stelia, O.B. (2011) Modeliruyushchiy kompleks dlya rascheta potoka gruntovykh vod v slozhnykh gidrogeologicheskikh usloviyakh. [Modeling complex for calculating the flow of groundwater in difficult hydrogeological conditions]. Matematicheskoye modelirovaniye, 23, 4. 120-130. [in Russian].